The church of the Primacy of Peter, Tabgha, at the bottom of the Mount of the Beatitudes, is in the custody of the Franciscans, and was constructed in 1933, on the ruins of a church of the 4th century, which was destroyed in the 13th century.
In the 9th century it was known as the Place of the Coals, remembering the charcoal fire made by Jesus. In the same century, in 808 AD, there is talk of 12 heart-shaped stones placed on the little beach in front of the church, to represent the 12 apostles.
The famous pilgrim Egeria mentions also the Mensa Christi. The limestone projection in the sanctuary is regarded as this Mensa Christi, the place where Jesus made breakfast for his disciples.