Saturday 30 March 2013

Enchanted in Gallicantu

Yesterday, after more than a year and a half in the Holy Land, and quite unplanned, I dropped in at Gallicantu. I came away enchanted. A lovely, gem of a church. I was in a hurry, since I was on my way to join the great Indian Konkani Way of the Cross from Dormitio to the Kidron Valley. I had decided to go late, so there I was, trailing them by a good bit. That's when I decided to drop in to see this church that I had passed by many times, but never seen. As I said, I am amazed. And I have still to see it properly. The upper church was occupied by the Filipino community from Jaffa, led by an Indian priest celebrating mass. The lower church was free - and I wish I had time to simply sit, and look at the icon of Peter weeping bitterly. The Blessed Sacrament chapel is another gem - empty of course on Good Friday. And the cells or prisons found below - with the probability that this is where the Lord was held, this being the house of Annas, according to what Vernet told me later. Cabanas asked me whether I had seen the stairs, and I said no. It appears that these are the only thing in Jerusalem that might actually be the thing on which Jesus walked...

I bless Peter and his fragility. I bless the Infinite Compassion that has been revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...