Monday 11 March 2013

The man born blind (Jn 9)

"If you who are evil know how to give good things to your children..." What does Jesus mean by 'evil' here? Perhaps nothing more dramatic than a merely human way of thinking. That, at least, is what he seems to mean when he says to Simon Peter, "Get behind me, Satan, because the way you are thinking is not God’s way but man’s.”

But what is wrong with a merely human way of thinking? What is wrong, is that it is not God’s way of thinking. And, despite my difficulty is really swallowing this, I am beginning to slowly agree with Rossi de Gasperis that this is diabolic. It is the anthropos psichikos. Opposed to this is the anthropos pneumatikos.

The alternative gospel for today, which is the gospel of IV Sunday of Lent A, is the gospel of the cure of the Man Born Blind (Jn 9). We could ask, with Ignatius: which of the characters am I? am I the blind man? but I believe! Am I the Pharisees? But again, I believe! Then why this gospel addressed to me today? Perhaps: an invitation to migrate from a merely human way of thinking to God’s way of thinking. A migration that has begun but is never quite complete. We pray that we might see. We pray for the Eye of Faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...