Sunday 14 April 2013

Mr N.P. Jain of Motilal Banarsidass passes away

Mr Wachaspati Pandey of MLBD wrote to me the other day with good news and bad: he told me that Understanding Sankara was out of the press, but also that Mr N.P. Jain had passed away. Mr N.P. Jain was the person with whom I corresponded for Brahman and Person, and the one who saw the book through to the press from start to finish. A few days ago I received the MLBD Newsletter for March 2013, and learned to my great astonishment that Mr Jain was head of Motilal Banarsidass. I was quite moved and touched, that I had been corresponding with the big boss and had known absolutely nothing about it.

Strange, this kind of relationship. You write to a publisher with a book proposal, the boss himself replies and keeps replying to all the correspondence, and you never know about it. I want to say here that I have had a very pleasant experience with Mr Jain, and I want to record here my gratitude to him and my deep appreciation for the unfailing kindness and courtesy I experienced. I feel good that MLBD accepted to publish not only De Smet's essays on the person in Indian and Western thought, but also the latest set of essays on Sankara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...