Friday 31 May 2013

Dialogue, evangelization, and testimony

Another question that came up in the BTh defences was that of evangelization and dialogue: what is the relationship between the two? As far as I remember, it was Evangelii Nuntiandi that stated that dialogue was part of evangelization. And I think it was John Paul II in Redemptoris Missio who insisted that this did not do away with the need for proclamation. I recalled the lovely insight of Panikkar, great advocate of dialogue: at some point, the dialogue breaks down, or perhaps the witness irrupts, one witnesses to something that is beyond, something that is (not yet) shared.... And I think that really is proclamation. I bear witness. Testimony: a testis, a third, speaks in and through me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...