Friday 3 May 2013

The Watchful Tree (shaked - almond)


Our guide was a lovely Jewish lady of Persian origin, with the beautiful name of Miryam. Our first stop was at a pomegranate tree – RIMMON in Hebrew. The next was an almond tree. The almond is called SHAKED in Hebrew. Miryam explained that Ben Yehuda used to invent nouns from verb roots. In the case of shaked, the root was SKD (shin – kuf – dalet), and it means the hard-working tree. Jer 1:11 speaks of the wakeful or watchful tree.

11 The word of Yahweh came to me, asking, 'Jeremiah, what do you see?' I answered, 'I see a branch of the Watchful Tree.'
12 Then Yahweh said, 'Well seen, for I am watching over my word to perform it.' (Jer 1:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...