Friday 7 June 2013

Kazantzakis and the Sacred Heart

Wonderful story from Nikos Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ:
Sunrise found Jesus and John the Baptist sitting above the Jordan in the hollow of a precipitous rock. [Did Kazantzakis know of the Mount of Temptation, I ask myself.] All night long the two of them had held the world in their hands, deliberating what to do with it. Sometimes one took it, sometimes the other. The one's face was severe and decisive: his arms went up and down as though hewere actually holding an ax and striking. The other's face was tame and irresolute, his eyes full of compassion.
"Isn't love enough?" he asked.
"No," answered the Baptist angrily. "The tree is rotten. God called to me and gave me the ax, which I then placed at the roots of the tree. I did my duty. Now you do yours: take the ax and strike!"
"If I were fire, I would burn; if I were a woodcutter, I would strike. But I am a heart, and I love." (2013 Bible Diary. Bangalore: Claretian Publications, 2012, Friday. 7 June 2013: Feast of the Sacred Heart)
Pushing Francis de Sales further: to say, not to God, but to a human being, "Even if you don't love me, I will love you, I will never stop loving you."

The Beloved Disciple leaning on the heart of Jesus; Jesus leaning on the heart of the Father. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Abide in my love. And love one another.

The heart of Jesus, the heart formed and moulded also by his mother. A young man from Nazareth who  was the striking image of his mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...