Monday 16 September 2013

Don Bosco on Alphonse Ratisbonne's conversion

This morning I was searching for the two references to Ratisbonne in the Biographical Memoirs of Don Bosco, and I just could not find them. I thought I had taken note of them somewhere, but they were nowhere to be found, not on my computer, not on this blog. This afternoon, just now, I went down again and pulled out the Index to the Memorie Biographiche, and was leafing through it with a prayer. The mystery was solved: my eye fell on "Indice delle Cose," and I guess then that there must be an "Indice dei Nomi," and so it was, and there it was: Ratisbona (convertito), mentioned twice in the Memorie, in vol. 2:115-117 and 16:208. The English references are BM 2:90-91 and BM 16:162.

Vol. 2 contains an excerpt from Don Bosco's Compendio di Storia Ecclesiastica, and is part of a chapter on Devotion to the Blessed Virgin. Here Don Bosco describes Alphonse Ratisbonne's miraculous conversion, as also his founding of the Religious of Sion.

Vol. 16 instead has a very brief reference of a visit of Don Bosco in Paris to a boarding school run by the "Congregation of Notre Dame de Sion" founded "by the noted Jewish convert, Alphonse Ratisbonne," and ends by saying that we have no details about this visit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...