Tuesday 17 December 2013

Rest

The other day we had the gospel passage that follows Jesus' Jubelruf: Come to me all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.

Ratzinger / Benedict XVI points out the deep meaning of rest here: I will give you rest: Jesus puts himself in the place of the Sabbath rest. He is revolutionary, and the Jewish scholar realizes that all too clearly.

Jesus is our Rest. He is our Home. He is our final destination.

How is my heart today? Is it at rest? Is it restless? If it is restless, why? And what can I do to reach rest? What am I doing that is preventing me from resting in the Rest? And do I want to reach rest?

And if I think it is at rest, have I truly reached the rest that is the Rest? Or have I perhaps mistaken some halfway house, some house along the way, for the Rest that is Jesus?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...