Wednesday 25 December 2013

The all-sufficiency of God

Jesus the Gift, the Sign.
And when we talk of gift, the question that arises is: am I happy with this gift? Am I satisfied? Is it enough for me?
God in his goodness gives us the Gift, and many other gifts besides, most of the time. If God were to give me only this Gift, would I be happy? Would I be content?

The all-sufficiency of God: "All I want is you, Senor," Willie Juan learns to pray in the parable narrated, I think, by Brennan Manning. "All I want is you, Senor." "My happiness lies in you alone."
What else have I in heaven but you
Apart from you I want nothing on earth
My body and my heart faint for joy
God is my possession forever.
To be able to say these words of Psalm with all my heart: that would truly be Christmas.

"Neither death nor life..." Paul says. And how true this is. Perhaps Paddy Chayefsky, in his extraordinary play Gideon, captures this well: when Gideon complains to God about all the killing God is ordering, God - like Krishna to Arjuna in the Bhagavad Gita? - tells him that he must learn to see things as God sees them. Not death, not life, but life in God, that is what Jesus comes to proclaim: I am the Way, the Truth, the Life. I am the Resurrection and the Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...