Wednesday 19 February 2014

Gentleness, and love

I rarely get insights when I am walking, but this morning was an exception. I was walking back from the FMA convent at Musrara, and was on Rehov Vernet, when I realized the difference between gentleness and love. Looking at some of the people around me, and people I have known, I had the suspicion that it is possible to be gentle with all, without necessarily truly loving each one. There could be this person who never loses his head, never utters a word out of place, is always kind and gentle; but does he really care for everyone around him? Not necessarily, I thought. So gentleness is an element of love, but is not equal to being loving. And love, as Benedict XVI points out, is not just gentleness, but reaches the particularity, individuality, singularity of the person. Love is both agape and eros, it is able to say to a person: "How wonderful that you are!" And the love that comes from God, the love that knows no bounds, is able, I suppose, to say that to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...