Wednesday 12 March 2014

The fragrance of the smadar

Just learned something new from Smadar Carmi Giberman who was here to negotiate about using our church for her choir: smadar means the 'flower of the grape,' and the word is mentioned in the Song of Songs. Carmi also, interesting, means 'my vineyard'.

The fig-tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines in blossom give forth their fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away. (2:13)

the vines in blossom give forth their fragrance.
, וְהַגְּפָנִים סְמָדַר נָתְנוּ רֵיחַ

I certainly know the fragrance of the cashew in flower on the hills of home, and I remember the vines in blossom when we still had the vineyard in Divyadaan, but I just don't recall the fragrance of the smadar. I wish I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...