Sunday 14 September 2014

No successor to the Dalai Lama?

Someone asked me the other day - perhaps it was in Mexico - whether I knew the Dalai Lama and whether I had met him personally. I said yes and no. No way, I have never had the honour of meeting this extraordinary person. But I did read the other day, in the French newspapers at Charles de Gaulle airport, Paris, that he is thinking of putting an end to the succession. Which means that there will be no more Dalai Lamas after him. One would think this would make the Chinese government happy, but just the contrary instead: the government is not at all happy with the proposal, is putting pressure on him to name a successor; and ordinary Tibetans are afraid that their culture will disappear. - See Le Figaro, 13-14 septembre 2014, 1, 6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...