Tuesday 6 January 2015

Home

'Home' is another great (and perhaps neglected) word in the scriptures. The FMA have in their recent chapter brought this word to centre stage, but perhaps it is even more central than we could imagine. The word brings back to me always the text from Sharon J. Doyle. For today, I just pull together earlier entries. The point is: Jesus is our Home, our Rest.



The gospel reading today: the Sadducees trying to trap Jesus about the Resurrection. Wyman commenting on the Resurrection, on Heaven, on our being on the way, on going home.

Home: such a word. Being at home. Feeling at home. Rest. Jesus at home in Capernaum: 'And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, it was reported that he was at home' (Mk 2:1).

I could not help remembering Sharon J. Doyle in the wonderful monastic magazine Forefront 2/1 (1995) 35:

Sometimes just the name of a place strikes me and I am
smitten beyond hope of cure. It happened the first time I read Mt 4:13 as a monk
and that experience has never diminished:
He went and settled in Capernaum,
a lakeside town on the borders of Zebulun and Naphtali. In this way the prophecy
of Isaiah was to be fulfilled:

Land of Zebulun! Land of Naphtali!
Way of the sea on the far side of Jordan,
Galilee of the nations!


Oh, Galilee, the very mention of you quickens me. The
One I love prayed in your hills and walked on your waters; he sat on your shores
beside fishermen mending their nets and spoke of the lilies on your hillsides. There is no lasting home for us except in him. He is the
place! And his hand will throw open the gates of everlasting home for each of us.

Jesus: heaven: home. And the
wandering. The not wanting to return home. And yet the
desire. The call. The pull. The restlessness of our hearts. Made for him. Made
for home.
The other day we had the gospel passage that follows Jesus' Jubelruf: Come to me all you who labour and are overburdened, and I will give you rest.

Ratzinger / Benedict XVI points out the deep meaning of rest here: I will give you rest: Jesus puts himself in the place of the Sabbath rest. He is revolutionary, and the Jewish scholar realizes that all too clearly.

Jesus is our Rest. He is our Home. He is our final destination.

How is my heart today? Is it at rest? Is it restless? If it is restless, why? And what can I do to reach rest? What am I doing that is preventing me from resting in the Rest? And do I want to reach rest?

And if I think it is at rest, have I truly reached the rest that is the Rest? Or have I perhaps mistaken some halfway house, some house along the way, for the Rest that is Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...