Friday 3 April 2015

"Not you, Mary, not you" (see Jn 8)

These days I've been remembering a wonderful comment by Osho on chapter 8 of John, the woman caught in adultery. The wonder of the net is that I actually found the text there: simply there, wonderful. So I go through it, excited, hoping to find what I had found years ago. And I don't find it. Memory is a wonderful thing, and tricky too. I remember the drift of the Osho exegesis. I remember him commenting on Jesus bending down a second time to write on the sand. But I remember him asking: What was he writing? And I seem to remember him saying: from the corner of his eye he spotted in the crowd his mother - the one person without sin, who might be tempted to throw the first stone - and so he writes in the sand, "Not you, Mother, not you." But that's just memory: it was not there in the text. Or perhaps I did not read well. Whatever. It's a great insight: Not you, Mary, not you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...