Monday 2 November 2015

All Souls reflection

All Souls: a day to remember our dear departed - from our families of origin, from our communities, from the congregation.

But I realized this morning that it is much more. Together with All Saints, and the whole end of the year liturgy, our attention is directed towards the End - our Goal, our Omega which is also our Alpha - God.

So we can't help thinking not only of All Saints, not only of All Souls, but also of All of us Living, and - somehow also of Hell. I remember Balthasar's book, the one that caused consternation here in the Vatican and in Rome, Does God Will that All Men be Saved? or something like that. And I think: I need to think of the heart of God. The heart of God surely wants all of us to be saved. That is his ardent desire.

And wonderfully, the gospel reading of the Italian liturgy was very much along this line, or at least so it seemed to me: "All that the Father gives me, comes to me, and I will not let them go, … because I have come to do the will of him who sent me. And his will is this: that I should lose nothing of that which he has given me, but raise them up on the last day. (Jn 6,37-40)

And of course the second reading, Rom 5,5: hope does not deceive, because the love of God has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

And to me the call, to respond to this love, this ardent desire on the part of God: to respond with all my heart, to surrender completely. Day by day, hour by hour. Finding a way to somehow handle all the brilliance and the fascination of God's creation. Or to find their place within God's plan, God's heart.

So all the mysteries lead to Christ. "Chiedere costantemente per intima conoscenza di lui, per amarlo di più e seguirlo di più."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...