Sunday 29 November 2015

Confession - again and again?

“The sacrament of reconciliation is an utterly real contact with Jesus Christ, who pardons sins, these faults that I confess here and now, and who heals, setting right and liberating from their non-sense my moral and spiritual infirmities. It is meaningless, therefore, to say: ‘I don’t know what to tell the confessor; it’s always the same things, I am fed up with myself.’ It is much more important not to get tired of him, that my disgust with myself helps me go back to him again and again, insistently, with a longing for his touch, the caress with which he welcomed the children brought to him, with which he raised the mother-in-law of Peter, or the twelve year old daughter of Jairus, or the woman who had been bent for eighteen years. I will allow him to put his fingers into my ears, touch my tongue with his spittle, place his hands on me, I will allow him to sigh over me with the sighs caused by my obtuseness (cf. Mk 7,32-35). The confession of my sins and of my spiritual infirmities is not an account that I must give of myself, but rather a sensible experience of the Lord Jesus and of his risen body in the midst of the dreariness of my existence, of my misery: it is a celebration of HIM, the only one who does all things well, who makes the deaf hear and the dumb speak (Mk 7,37). [F. Rossi de Gasperis, Sentieri di vita 2.2, 570-71.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Rupnik, “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novità nella vita consacrata?” English summary

“EVANGELIZATION – DOES IT CALL FOR SOMETHING NEW FROM CONSECRATED LIFE?” MARKO RUPNIK, SJ “E se l’evangelizzazione chiedesse una novit...